Poison Ivy in the fall
Sam Marshall, president of Muncie City Council introduced changes to the Modernization and Consolidation.
Here it is in a nutshell. For this to pass in 2012, there must be a vote of 66 2/3 vote. A majority vote is 51%.
Jim Arnold asked if they would like the same to be applied to them…at the polls.
Another speaker asked if the City Council had the authority to speak for the county on this 66 2/3 vote. The usual him-hawing and finally, I believe it was Marshall, said it had to match the county. I was told, but can’t confirm, the county passed the same tonight.
It is so obvious to any person that has a brain, this was an attempt to destroy the people’s right to vote. Raising the vote to an outrageous 67% is nothing short of self-serving and party line government leadership.
Voting for the 66 2/3 vote was (in alphabetical order):
- Julius Anderson Democrat (up for re-election) District 6
- Mary Jo Barton Democrat (up for re-election) District 3
- Jerry Dishman Democrat (up for re-election) District 5
- Sam Marshall Democrat
- Alison Quirk Democrat (up for re-election) At Large
Voting against the 66 2/3 vote was (in alphabetical order):
- Mark Conatser* Republican (up for re-election) District 2
- Linda Gregory* Democrat (up for re-election) At Large
- Mike King Democrat
- Brad Polk* Republican (up for re-election) District 4
There is no gentle way to say this, these city council members are destroying our city and have shown nothing but lip service on her behalf. It is time to vote them out of office in November. And we need to do the same in 2012 on the county level.
They have been poisoning our city for decades and it has gradually been seeping into our roots. “Round Up” the voters and let’s remove the poison from our city.
*Good city council members.